From: Jeremy Allison
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 14:40:06 EST

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 02:41:04PM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> NFSv4 has an OPENATTR call which acts on files to return a filehandle
> that works fine with both READDIR and LOOKUP, so if a VFS interface for
> streams existed, we could code up full support tomorrow.
> As it is, we're having to shoehorn this into the xattr interface. 8-(

Yeah, that's what I'm really trying to avoid for Samba.
We're currently using the xattr interface for DOS attributes,
and soon for NT ACL support, but it doesn't really fit as
a streams interface (no lseek() support) although someone in
HP coded up a test interface to NT streams that map into xattrs
(most of the streams in a Word file for instance are quite
small) - but I really don't want to have to do this :-).

Jeremy.