Re: Burning audio CD's is totally broken under 2.6.8.1.

From: Ed Sweetman
Date: Sat Aug 28 2004 - 19:04:07 EST

I went to linux-2.6.8-rc1-ck6 when i found this problem to exist in 2.6.7 and patches to the kernel and the problem went away. But I was told it had nothing t odo with the ck6 patchset as it didn't touch the area that was effected (as i was told anyway).

I've just upgraded to 2.6.9-rc1-mm1 (with nick's patch and mm's patches backed out as he suggested to do). Now the kernel does not leak memory, which it did with vanilla 2.6.9-rc1.

Audio writing however doesn't seem to be using dma. I get heavy io related cpu usage when burning the cd that brings write speed and system responsiveness down significantly. This should not be obviously and i was wondering if that had something to do with why the mem leak no longer exists or if it's something else entirely separate. Note, in ck6 audio writing was fine and did not exibit this non-dma-like behavior and no configuration changes were made between versions. DMA is detected and enabled for the drive in data mode.

Con Kolivas wrote:

Justin Piszcz wrote:

Out of Memory: Killed process 737 (xchats).

Known issue:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109309119620622&w=2

Cheers,
Con