Re: Summarizing the PWC driver questions/answers

From: David Ford
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 16:16:53 EST

I'm going to be short and simple.

You're making a huge fuss over this. You're making wild claims about being forced to throw away $2000 worth of cameras, the next great thing that Linus will toss out of the kernel, companies being hurt, and 10,000 or more people being put out.

Here are a few points to consider Kenneth;

- Maintain the PWC support yourself
- Stay with the last kernel that supported PWC
- Maintain a patch that puts PWC support into the kernel
- Since the NDA has long since expired, why not investigate using the whole of the code?

I would also consider the ramifications of a business model that uses bleeding edge releases of kernels for their customers. You're so upset and maddened by what has happened, that you've lost focus on what is going on.

The hook wasn't right. It goes against policy of the kernel. Putting off dealing with it is a slippery slope.

The reaction from the PWC camp seems to be wholly heated and with little logical discussion. Before you turn your flamethrower on me, I also have two cameras. Doing things the Right Way is better, I really don't want to be moving the lines every time something doesn't suit me perfectly.

-david
p.s. If you feel like throwing away two grand worth of cameras, feel free to ship them to me. I'm sure my trashcan would enjoy the use of them. begin:vcard
fn:David Ford
n:Ford;David
email;internet:david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Industrial Geek