Re: [libata - SII3112] 'Virtual' bad blocks?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 15:11:02 EST

Peter Schaefer wrote:
Hello!

I'm using an Epox EP-8HDA3+ Athlon64 Motherboard with
VIA K8T800 chipset as a file server running 24/7.

The box is running since 2.6.1 and was a long time rock
solid on 2.6.4. Problems with the VIA RHINE ethernet let
me switch to 2.6.7 and now 2.6.8.

The board has four on-board SATA ports, two provided by
the chipset and two provided by a Silicon Image 3112 chip.
I'm running a RAID5 array with three disks - two on the
chipset and one on the Silicon Image controller.

For the chipset ports the standard VIA IDE driver is used
(with SATA support). For the SI disk i'm using the libata
driver.

Unfortunately it's exactly this disk which give me headache
now (it started with 2.6.7) - see logs below.

I might add that those errors aren't really bad blocks -
after each occurence i made a full sector scan with
Western Digital's MS-DOS-based "Data Live Guard" which
revealed no errors. However, i had to plug the disk to
one of the VIA ports for the tests (otherwise the tool
didn't detect the disk).

Another thing to add is that i have activated CPU
frequency scaling with powernowd in about the same
timeframe (to use Cool&Quiet during times of no activity).
But i doubt that's the reason for this?!

Do i have to worry (and yes, i know that SATA is dirt
cheap crap)?

The version of libata you have always reports errors -- be they controller errors, cable errors, or disk errors -- as either a read or write error.

Alan Cox submitted code that makes the errors more specific, rather than treating them all as disk errors.

You have either a flaky controller, flaky cable, or flaky disk, one of the three.

Jeff