Re: [patch] PPC/PPC64 port of voluntary preempt patch

From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 20:28:59 EST

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 20:17, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 15:51, Scott Wood wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 06:18:16PM -0400, Scott Wood wrote:
> > > I have attached a port of the voluntary preempt patch to PPC and
> > > PPC64. The patch is against P7, but it applies against P8 as well.
> > > I've tested it on a dual G5 Mac, both in uniprocessor and SMP.
> > > Some notes on changes to the generic part of the patch/existing
> > > generic code:
> >
> > Another thing that I forgot to mention is that I have some doubts as
> > to the current generic_synchronize_irq() implementation. Given that
> > IRQs are now preemptible, a higher priority RT thread calling
> > synchronize_irq can't just spin waiting for the IRQ to complete, as
> > it never will (and it wouldn't be a great idea for non-RT tasks
> > either). I see that a do_hardirq() call was added, presumably to
> > hurry completion of the interrupt, but is that really safe? It looks
> > like that could end up re-entering handlers, and you'd still have a
> > partially executed handler after synchronize_irq() finishes (causing
> > not only an extra end() call, but possibly code being executed after
> > it's been unloaded, and other synchronization violations).
> >
> > If I'm missing something, please let me know, but I don't see a good
> > way to implement it without blocking for the IRQ thread's completion
> > (such as with the per-IRQ waitqueues in M5).
>
> I think Scott may be on to something. There are several reports that P9
> does not work on SMP machines at all - it either doesn't boot, locks up
> the first time there is heavy IRQ activity (starting KDE), or locks up
> as soon as the first RT process is run. This is exactly the behavior
> that would be expected if Scott is correct. See this thread:
>
> http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2004-August/005899.html
>
> Does anyone have P9 working on SMP? Fernando, can you see if M5 works
> on SMP? If this works it would seem that the preemptible IRQs are the
> problem.

Sorry, I could not get SMP 2.6.8.1 + voluntary M5 to boot on my dual
Athlon test system. Again problems with interrupts but worse than P9,
this time acpi=off or pci=noacpi did not help (I can boot single user,
but the machine hang in the network startup - or if I disable that,
later on X startup). I saw two messages, one "irq 9: nobody cared!" and
then "Disabling IRQ # 9" (that's the one for the network card). On a
different boot:
Badness in free_irq at .... irq.c
free_irq
load_balance_new_idle
floppy_release_irq_and_dma
set_dor
motor_off_callback

So I could not get to the point where I could test jack and SCHED_FIFO
processes.

-- Fernando