Re: kernel 2.6.8 pwc patches and counterpatches

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 19:08:19 EST

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 01:35:01AM +0200, Wouter Van Hemel wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Greg KH wrote:
>
> >It's not that kind of decision. The fact is that the hook is illegal,
> >so I am forced to remove it. End of story.
> >

> Define 'illegal'.

Having a hook in the kernel (in GPLed code) for the explicit purpose of
allowing a binary module is not allowed. Go read Linus's statements
about this in the archives.

> Philips supports the linux driver, for now in it's partial binary form. I
> bought the webcam. I also bought the drivers (for windows) that came with
> the webcam. I have every right to have my paid-for product working.

Then talk to Phillips, or Nemosoft. I didn't rip the driver out of the
kernel, only the hook. Nemosoft asked that the driver be riped out, and
that's his option.

> Binary code is not illegal. Undesirable, maybe. But not illegal. It's not
> even included in the kernel code. Only a hook, and it's not even a forced
> dependency.

Great, then use the version I did without the hook. That's fine with
me.

thanks,

greg k-h