From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 18:41:51 EST

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Hans Reiser wrote:

> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> >For example, it's likely that most filesystems would _not_ allow linking
> >of a named stream anywhere else.
>
> Why? It is just a file that inherits its stat data and is referenced by
> a concatenation method of its parent directory. The link will also
> inherit its stat data from the original parent directory.

In reiser4, maybe. Not in general. Look at what other filesystems do for
attributes..

> > And you might not be able to change the
> >permissions or date on the named stream either, since it may or may not
> >have a separate date/permission thing from the container.
>
> You should be able to change the permission and data, but when you
> change it, you change it for the whole container.

Why? I'd much rather disallow it, than allow it and then have "nonlocal"
effects.

I can also see a filesystem validly having _extra_ permissions (ie apart
from the container) on it too.

Not all the world is reiser4.

Linus