Re: 1GB/2GB/3GB User Space Splitting Patch 2.6.8.1 (PSEUDO SPAM)

From: jmerkey
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 15:48:48 EST

Why should Linux, which supports multiple executable formats, tie itself to ELF exclusively?
I doubt I am going to need to run ORACLE or some other piggish app on my embedded
linux system, but I would like to have more kernel address space for drivers and other
appliance type features. What do you plan to do when the driver base becomes as
large as the one in WIndows 2000/XP and you don't have enough memory to load all
the drivers. Right now, iptables barfs even with 3GB of address space when you load up about a dozen virtual network interfaces ? Microsoft had this same problem (only at a much
sooner juncture in their platform evolution) and went to VM support in the kernel itself to increase virtual address space for kernel apps, file systems, and drivers when thye hit the
wall. It's coming time to start thinking about it.

Jeff