Re: 2.6.9-rc1-mm1

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 11:44:17 EST

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Thursday 26 of August 2004 13:07, Con Kolivas wrote:

Andrew Morton wrote:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.9-rc1/2
.6.9-rc1-mm1/

- nicksched is still here. There has been very little feedback, except
that it seems to slow some workloads on NUMA.

That's because most people aren't interested in a new cpu scheduler for
2.6.

I am, but I have no benchmarks that give any useful numbers.

That's because there are none for interactivity; you're simply reinforcing my point.

The current one works well enough in most situations and people
aren't trying -mm to fix their interactive problems since they are few
and far between.

Actually, with the current scheduler, updatedb really sucks. It's supposed to be a background task, but it hogs IO resources and memory like crazy (disclaimer: it's my personal subjective observation).

The cpu scheduler plays almost no part in this. It's the I/O scheduler and the vm. IOnice will help the former _when it comes out_. Dropping the swappiness kind of helps the latter; although there are numerous alternative tweaks appearing for that too.

Cheers,
Con