From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 08:14:17 EST

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 03:00:34PM +0200, Christophe Saout wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 26.08.2004, 14:49 +0200 schrieb Christoph Hellwig:
>
> > Now that part is interesting from the how to sell it to non-Linux users
> > POV, but not for the linux kernel.
>
> Why? The question was what these plugins are exactly. This is the
> answer.

I explained it below..

> > > *And* there are plugins which are users of the "reiser4 client API" and
> > > implement the actual VFS methods.
> >
> > Here comes the problem. All the access checking/race avoidance/loop
> > creation avoiced, in short the posix+extension semantics are implemented
> > in the Linux VFS layer. If you want to allow a second access method
> > (e.g. Hans' pet syscall) you'd have to duplicate all VFS functioanlity
> > inside reiser4.
>
> Are you actually listening? If you implement a filesystem there's a
> place where you have to implement the Linux VFS methods. I'm talking
> about inode_operations and these things. This has nothing to do with
> doing anything outside the Linux VFS. And I'm not talking about these
> metas either. These really don't belong inside the filesystem.

as I wrote in this mail this absolutely _does_ belong in the filesystem,
it's a major part of it and isn't easily separatable.

> > So if you want to provide an additional API you'll have to go through
> > the VFS to get it right - ergo a plugin architecture for upper plugins
> > is worthless.
>
> See, you didn't listen. ;-)
>
> The reiser4 core doesn't know about inodes, directories or files. It's
> the glue code between the VFS and the storage layer that does. It's
> implemented as a plugin. This has nothing to do with semantic
> enhancements yet. These should be removed for now and made a 2.7 topic.

Oh yes, it is. As soon as you use different access methods on an
overlapping set of objects you see exactly the problems I described.

If they don't overlap there's no point for the plugins to start with,
you'll better turn the core into a library that can be used by different
projects then.