From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 06:38:49 EST

Spam <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Secondly, do you expect file managers like Nautilus and Konqueror to
> support every piece of file format on the planet so they could read
> information directly from the documents?

Sure. You're proposing that we implement a single, golden multi-stream file
format in the kernel.

We could just as well do that in libmultistreamfileformat.so.

But I'll grant that one cannot go adding new metadata to, say, C files this
way. I don't know how useful such a thing is though.

Remember that my main point is that there's a lack of coordination in
userspace. Hell, there's none. Putting it in-kernel forces that
coordination, and may be the way to go, but it's pretty sad.