Re: 2.6.9-rc1-mm1

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 06:33:40 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.9-rc1/2.6.9-rc1-mm1/

- nicksched is still here. There has been very little feedback, except that
it seems to slow some workloads on NUMA.

That's because most people aren't interested in a new cpu scheduler for
2.6. The current one works well enough in most situations and people
aren't trying -mm to fix their interactive problems since they are few
and far between. The only reports about adverse behaviour with 2.6 we track down to "It behaves differently to what I expect" or applications with no (b)locking between threads suck under load. Personally I think the latter is a good thing as it encourages better coding, and the former is something we'll have with any alternate design.

The only feedback we got on staircase was that it helped NUMA somewhat and Nick and Ingo made some criticisms (not counting any benchmarks I had to offer). The only feedback on nickshed was that it hurt NUMA somewhat, SMT interactivity was broken (an easy enough oversight), and I did not comment to avoid giving biased criticism.

If you're after subjective performance feedback you're less likely to get it now than ever since you've made a strong stance against subjective reports, due to placebo effect. LKML is scary enough for the average user already. We have a situation now that if one brave single user reports good or bad behaviour everyone runs off that one user's report. Ouch!

There isn't going to be a 2.7 any time soon and there are people that are using alternate schedulers already in production; which is obviously why you're giving them a test run in -mm. Clearly the lack of a formal (2.7) development branch makes this even harder. Your attempt at preventing "good stuff' from rotting in alternate trees when mainline should be benefitting is admirable. While it's fun to rewrite the scheduler and gives us something to play with, the current level of feedback is hardly the testbase off which to replace it unless there's something strikingly better about a new cpu scheduler.

It will be interesting to see if this spawns any further discussion or whether Peter's scheduler's performance will also be lost in a low signal to noise ratio when it gets a run in -mm.

Cheers,
Con