From: Christian Mayrhuber
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 05:47:34 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
>b) accept the reiser4-only extensions with a view to turning them into
>   kernel-wide extensions at some time in the future, so all filesystems
>   will offer the extensions (as much as poss) or

If option b) is chosen Reiser4 can become a playground.

There is the reiser4() syscall which you surely don't want to implement for
other filesystems.
Once there is some experience with this new fancy stuff the dust what
is useful/insecure, etc. and what is not will settle and can be condensed
into a vfs api.
Apps like samba and user scripts will have to be adapted once this is
the case, but this should not be to big a problem if this stuff is marked
experimental.

People which want something stable can continue to use xattrs and a
magnitude of filesystems for now.

--
lg, Chris