From: Hans Reiser
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 03:49:16 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 11:00:00PM +0200, Christophe Saout wrote:

It should be completely forbidden to link into a meta-directory or out
of such a directory. [..]

agreed.

Yes, I don't think it was a good idea either. Probably someone should

I personally would like plugins only if the API they use wouldn't allow
them to corrupt the underlying fs, I'm not sure if this is the case with
reiserfs4.

You compile crap into the kernel, you are screwed. We have not and will not change that.

Reiser4 plugins are not for end users to download from amazon.com, they are for weekend hackers to send me a cool plugin for me to review, assign a plugin id to, and send to Linus in the next release. Sometimes being less ambitious works better, and dynamically loaded plugins would have made the infrastructure too bulky to be fun and fast.