Re: Linux 2.6.9-rc1

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 04:31:33 EST

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Matt Mackall wrote:
> > Phew, I was worried about that. Can I get a ruling on how you intend
> > to handle a x.y.z.1 to x.y.z.2 transition? I've got a tool that I'm
> > looking to unbreak. My preference would be for all x.y.z.n patches to
> > be relative to x.y.z.
>
> Hmm.. I have no strong preferences. There _is_ obviously a well-defined
> ordering from x.y.z.1 -> x.y.z.2 (unlike the -rcX releases that don't have
> any ordering wrt the bugfixes), so either interdiffs or whole new full
> diffs are totally "logical". We just have to chose one way or the other,
> and I don't actually much care.
>
> Any reason for your preference?

I prefer diffs between x.y.z.w-1 and x.y.z.w. x.y.z.{...,w-1,w,w+1,...} is one
stream of development, x.y.{...,z-1,z,z+1,...} is another one.

BTW, I always found it pretty rare that the rc patches weren't like that.
`unpatching' w-1 and `patching' w afterwards isn't fun if you have local
changes.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

P.S. Personally I wouldn't suffer from unpatching and patching, since I use
merging (using a script that does recursive merges with RCS merge). But if
I would not be an architecture maintainer but just a plain user who
sometimes does a few hacks (or applies some patches from others) on his
kernel, I would just want to apply the x.y.z.w-1-to-x.y.z.w patch, fixup
the (hopefully few) rejects, and be happy...

-- Linus Torvalds