Re: Linux Incompatibility List

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 02:38:18 EST

David N. Welton wrote:

Hi,

I'm reviving an idea I implemented several years ago, namely the Linux
Incompatibility List.

The idea is simple: most hardware works fine with Linux, and the
situation is generally pretty good, with Linux increasingly showing up
on the corporate radar.

However, there are devices that don't work with Linux, for various
reasons (no specs, too new and no one has written a driver, etc...),
and it's easier to keep track of those devices so that people can
avoid them (or the hero types can write drivers for them).

[...]

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the information we would want to
collect is:

Product Name:

Manufacturer:

Model Number:

Chipset:

How bad it is (1 to 10, 9 being it almost works and has only minor
bugs):

Reason (no specs, driver still being worked on, ...):

Url for more info:

An email address of yours that we may publish (so that we can contact
you if someone says "no, that works just fine!"):

Notes:

Ideas/comments/suggestions are welcome at this stage.

An idea: To really put some pressure on vendors, also have an entry for
"alternate/better solution" where people can list a way to achieve the
same result with someone else's product and open drivers. Example:

Product: Matrox parhelia (a triplehead graphichs card)
Reason: Bad binary-only 2D-only driver
Alternate solution: Achieve triplehead with two radeon cards (1 AGP dualhead + 1 PCI) instead!

This will be useful for anyone planning a upgrade but finding their favourite
solution on the incompatibility list. And it'll sure put some pressure on the manufacturer
to at least get a _good_ driver out (changing the reason), or even better, an open one
which get rid of the incompatibility entry.

Helge Hafting