ACPI + Floppy detection problem in 2.6.8.1-mm4

From: acyr
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 20:45:26 EST

Since patching from 2.6.8.1 to -mm4 I noticed that I can no longer
modprobe the floppy driver. It is failing to detect the floppy drive
and controller it seems. Looking at the output from dmesg I have
this:

[-snip-]
inserting floppy driver for 2.6.8.1-mm4
acpi_floppy_resource: 6 ioports at 0x3f0
acpi_floppy_resource: 1 ioports at 0x3f7
floppy: controller ACPI FDC0 at I/O 0x3f0-0x3f5, 0x3f7-0x3f7 irq 6 dma channel 2
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
floppy0: no floppy controllers found
[-snip-]

I saw in the -mm4 changelog that ACPI-based floppy detection was
added, which seems to be working, but the floppy driver doesn't seem
to think the controller/drive exists once the ACPI enumeration is
done. I just noticed the no_acpi floppy module param in the source,
so I will give that a try. Since the ACPI code seems to be picking up
the controller and drive just fine, I doubt this is limited to just my
system (i.e. my ACPI tables are screwy etc.).

--
Aric Cyr <acyr at alumni dot uwaterloo dot ca> (http://acyr.net)
gpg fingerprint: 943A 1549 47AC D766 B7F8 D551 6703 7142 C282 D542