Re: Scheduler fairness problem on 2.6 series (Attn: Nick Piggin andothers)

From: Peter Williams
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 18:08:44 EST

spaminos-ker@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
--- Peter Williams <pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Could you try it in "pb" mode with both max_ia_bonus and max_tpt_bonus set to zero? That will disable all "priority" fiddling and tasks should just round robin at a priority determined solely by their "nice" value and since (according to your earlier mail) all the daemons have the same "nice" value they should just round robin with each other.

Hi, I tried the latest V-5.0 patch over 2.6.8.1 in these conditions with the
actual server subsystem, and I get components timeouts :(
I also ran the watchdog script on the box while running the test, and saw
deltas of around 3 seconds every few hours:

Tue Aug 24 03:02:13 PDT 2004

delta = 3

Tue Aug 24 05:50:14 PDT 2004

delta = 3

Tue Aug 24 09:05:24 PDT 2004

delta = 4

Tue Aug 24 09:06:20 PDT 2004

delta = 4

Tue Aug 24 09:36:22 PDT 2004

delta = 3

Tue Aug 24 10:20:16 PDT 2004

delta = 3

Tue Aug 24 13:28:19 PDT 2004

delta = 3

Could I do something more useful than just displaying those deltas? Maybe I
could dump the process list in some way, or enable some debugging code in the
kernel to find out what is going on?

You could try Lee Revell's (rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx) latency measuring patches and also try applying Ingo Molnar's (mingo@xxxxxxx) voluntary-preempt patches.

Peter
--