Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 15:45:30 EST

Tonnerre wrote:

Well, for that it might be a nice feature to register and delete such
filters online, using a register/remove_scsi_filter interface, but
well, otoh that might be undesirable security-wise.

Let me throw out two ideas to see if anyone find them useful.

1 - loadable command filters in the kernel.

Each device could have a filter set, which could be empty to require RAWIO capability, or set to a kernel default. Access could be made to modify a filter via proc, sysfs, or ioctl. The set method is not relevant to the idea.

2 - a filter program.

This one can be done right now, no kernel mod needed. A program with appropriate permissions can be started, and will create a command/status fifo pair with permissions which allow only programs with group permission to open. This allows the admin to put in any filter desired, know about vendor commands, etc. It also allows various security setups, the group can be on the user (trusted users) or on a setgid program (which limits the security issues).

Note that the permissions on individual devices need not be the same; I can have one group for disk, another for CD/DVD. You caould even be anal and have the filter time sensitive, etc.

A 'standard" place for the fifos helps portability, /var/sgio/dev/hda might be a directory, with fifos command and status.

Okay, did I miss something, or can this be solved without any additional kernel hacks?

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)