Re: 2.6.8.1-ck4

From: Joshua Schmidlkofer
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 12:06:25 EST

I don't know what or why, but I am experiancing a nightmare with interactivity and heavy nfs use. I am using Gentoo, and I have my portage tree exported from a central server. Trying to do an emerge update world is taking forever.

During the time it is scanning the portage tree it takes 2 - 3 minutes to load Firefox. It also took almost 5 minuts to load GAIM. Once GAIM loaded, none of the screens would paint. I halted the emerge and instantly Gaim painted and all the web pages I was waiting for in firefox finished. So I unleashed emerge again, and tried to load more local-only apps. Same problem. Horrible delays. Halt emerge, and boom, everything snappy and fast.

So, as long as I don't use NFS, this is spectacular, but NFS access is murdering me.

In any case, I would take from recommendations. For testing, etc. I am on the list, but if there is testing, please CC my address.

CPU: Pentium 4 - 1.7Ghz.

memory - [swap usage is already much improved]:
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 775200 499796 275404 0 5200 126816
-/+ buffers/cache: 367780 407420
Swap: 799992 0 799992