Re: DTrace-like analysis possible with future Linux kernels?

From: Tonnerre
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 15:36:06 EST

Salut,

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 10:14:12PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> - What is a "large computer"?

I'd refer to a computer as a large computer when its calculation power
is several times larger than the one home computers of the same time
have (or if it's a really large machine, such as the Honeywell DDPs,
but that's another dimension of "large").

> - What is an "extremely narrow market segment"?

A market segment not reaching waste portions of all customers in a
market. Think of catfood.

> What is the evidence of this statement compared to Linux?

Linux is actually widely employed in the home computer *and* server
market, plus embedded devices. I mean, did you ever see someone
running Solaris on their video decoder?

> - What are the minimum requirements for a machine to run Linux?

Intel 8086 processor with a few ko of RAM, with a floppy drive, a
monitor and a floppy, I think. If you take only the normal kernel into
account that will be an 80386 processor.

> - What are the minimum requirements for a machine to run Solaris?

At least more RAM and a more capable processor.

> And hey, Brian is even able to make a 4 hour demo within a single hour on this
> machine ;-)

Greeeat. I can do that too on my Powerbook G5.

Tonnerre