Re: Linux Incompatibility List

From: Alan Cox
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 07:23:12 EST

On Sad, 2004-08-21 at 20:41, David N. Welton wrote:

I think the "compatibility list" side is the more important. Trying to
punish non helpful products/vendors isn't as productive as helping stuff
that is Linux friendly.

> Product Name:
>
> Manufacturer:
>
> Model Number:
>
> Chipset:

At what level is "Product" - do you need a category. How do you want
to classify devices. I think this matters because you want eventually
to be able to deal with things like tools that let users rate their
setup functionality and submit it automatically.

> How bad it is (1 to 10, 9 being it almost works and has only minor
> bugs):
>
> Reason (no specs, driver still being worked on, ...):
>
> Url for more info:
>
> An email address of yours that we may publish (so that we can contact
> you if someone says "no, that works just fine!"):

Wikipedia has a discussion page tagged to each article/entry. This works
extremely well because it provides a public forum for discussion of what
does/doesn't work, why and when.

Could you add "Kernel.org bugzilla #" for not working ones, both to help
people track them and to encourage submissions ?

Alan