RE: Entirely ignoring TCP and UDP checksum in kernel level

From: Josan Kadett
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 20:10:06 EST

Well, the device fails only in one type of operation, that is when it has to
receive packets from an internal port, it sends packets via its external IP
address.

I have managed to disable IP header checksumming by hacking the kernel (in
file ip_input.c). Now I have to do the same for tcp_input.c and udp.c .
Packet mangling will not be required because when I turn the rp_filter off,
the kernel does not care whether it is coming from the intended source or
not.

Now after disabling IP protocol checksumming, I passed to udp checksumming.
However; now the code is more complicated. And for the TCP there is 100K of
code. Well of course, with correct patch it would work, but as far as I can
see, there are many locations that needs to be changed in order to get this
work.

I also thought about packet mangling, but again something needs to be done
for checksums. By the way, it is not necessary to do as such. Perhaps, I
would later need it in case I see such errors in future but my current
problem has a rather easy solution.

I have received many replies about what to change in these codes. However;
none of them were correct at all. Either they disabled some part of
checksumming or cast the TCP/IP totally unavailable.

Any reference to code would be appreciated.
Regards...