Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Pascal Schmidt
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 16:43:53 EST

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> So changing the kernel to require write permissions would be a simple
> fix that would help without breaking cdrtools as libscg of course opens
> the devices with O_RDWR.

I agree, but Linus obviously thought otherwise. Reverting that and
doing the above fix instead would create three different behaviours
for different 2.6.x kernel versions, which is also undesirable.

> I am not against a long term change that would require euid root too,
> but this should be announced early enough to allow prominent users of
> the interface to keep track of the interface changes.

Too late for that now, no matter whether we like it or not... however,
at least the discussion now has shown that changes to this interface
need to be considered carefully, so maybe the future will be
bright. ;)

--
Ciao,
Pascal