Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: little NPTL SCHED_FIFO test program

From: Lee Revell
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 04:45:00 EST

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 05:20, martin rumori wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 03:38:44AM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> > > I have built a glibc with the patch you (Lee) sent to the bug-report.
> >
> > This fixes the problem, jackd now works correctly. I cannot take credit
> > for finding the problem though, Florian did most of the work in tracking
> > this down.
>
> same here, really great (debian unstable).
>
> wanted to try the volunteer preempt patch for the first time, (until
> now running 2.6.7-cko5 atm).
>
> tried to compile 2.6.8.1 with volunteer-preempt-P5 (latest), but
> wasn't able to boot into the new kernel. shows some lines of ACPI....
> directly after unpacking, then stops for about 1 second (without an
> error message, last line is something with a specific processor flag),
> then reboots. not long enough to see something meaningful...

I think you have an off-by-one error. The latest version is -P4.

Try the 'noacpi' boot option. Also, try disabling all power
management. I know this is not realistic for a laptop, it's just for
debugging purposes.

> ACPI is disabled in favor of APM, changed that, same behavior: there
> is some lines starting with ACPI on the screen, either way. applied
> latest acpi.sf.net patch, same thing. would like to keep APM since
> ACPI doesn't work that well with my machine. stock 2.6.8.1-acpi boots
> fine (with the usual acpi oddities, with or without acpi patch), apm
> with 2.6.8 not yet tried (don't expect problems).
>
> thinkpad t40p, PM-1600, 512 MB, latest bios/embeddecontroller.
>
> is there something like that known with volunteer-preempt? should i
> try an older version (== P4) first? are there some config options
> which are especially meaningful?

I am adding LKML and Ingo to the cc: list as he has requested any
reports of ACPI problems with the VP patches.

Lee