Re: legacy VGA device requirements (was: Exposing ROM's though sysfs)

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 00:05:30 EST

--- Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, the stealth compatibility mode is even uglier than VesaFB not
> claiming the PCI device, so I don't think it's really worth it for
> this reason.

Stealth mode will die the minute DRM and fbdev merge but until then we
have no choice. DRM has always run in steath mode, the new feature is
the mode where DRM claims the resources.

> You can just as well enable the stealth mode if you can't get the
> resources.

I'll go look and see if I can modify the DRM probe function to claim
PCI device and resources before returning instead of just the device.
Before this it never occured to me that a driver would claim resources
without also claiming the device. Claiming both should be a simpler
solution than trying to fix VesaFB.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx