Re: CD/DVD record

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 10:21:48 EST

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Nigel Rantor wrote:

> Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > Hello all...
> > Recording this stuff is basically sending some commands to
> > a device and then keeping a FIFO full until done.
>
> Lots of things that are easy to sum up on one sentence turn out the be
> hairy as a wookie, but yes, it does seem like a Simple(tm) problem.

Yes. There are hardware bugs (I once though bug was a reserved-
for-software word), moths are hardware problems ... Anyway...
some thought to putting all the differences in some writable
ASCII text and writing a program around that might be more
useful than complaining about an author's insistance upon
using some "strange at least for Unix" device naming scheme.

> > If `cdrecord` doesn't do it, one can hack together something
> > that works in a day or so,... really good stuff in a week.
>
> Hmm...not sure about that. Not if you do want device specific fixes in
> there too...

Back to the parse-stuff-in-a-file idea.

> > Maybe it's time to ...... anyway ..... the device characteristics
> > should be kept in an ASCII text file so the software doesn't have
> > to be re-written everytime a new CD recorder becomes available.
>
> Sounds good.
>
> > Maybe the `cdrecord` author needs some competition. This sounds
> > like a good beginner's project....
>
> I'll admit to having some time on my hands but acquiring equipment to
> test with would be a stumbling block for me.
>
> It would be nice if everyone could just put their egos aside and provide
> a united front wrt FOSS cd/dvd recording.
>
> I was going to make some suggestions about how to do the above but then
> I have also been following the cdrecord thread and I'm not sure wading
> in on that makes sense...

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.26 on an i686 machine (5570.56 BogoMips).