Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Joerg Schilling
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 08:41:53 EST

>From: Martin Mares <mj@xxxxxx>

>> Your statement "it may be now moved to non-free in Debian in the near future"
>> is just complete nonsense. Of course, I am in discussions with Debian people
>> about the best method to force SuSE not to publish broken versions of cdrtools
>> in the future.

>Hmmm, it seems that the matter is so complicated that even you don't know what's
>going on ;-) The latest issue of Debian Weekly News explicitly mentions that
>cdrecord has to go to non-free unless the license additions get changed.

Maybe your problem is that you are not involved with the discussion?
>From the last discussions, I can tell that Debian has no problems with what's
going to become cdrtools-2.01-final.

I am one of the persons that publish the most Free Software per person.
I am "living" the OSS/FS rules but it seems that some companies still have to
do their homework to understand what Free Software means.

My intension is _not_ to make my software non-free but to tell people who
believe that they may do with other people's software what they like that there
are limits. If these people/companies would be cooperative, this problem was non
existent. As it sometimes is hard to find the right algorith to do the job
right, it is the the same for contracts. You may need several iterations to find
the best solution.

>> Let me comment what SuSE is currently doing with cdrtools:

>You accuse Linux distributors of being non-cooperative, but I think that the

I explain why e.g. SuSE is non-cooperative. This is different from what you
write.

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin