Re: 2.6.8.1-mm1 Tty problems?

From: Martin Schlemmer
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 16:33:43 EST

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 23:04, Paul Fulghum wrote:
> ismail dÃnmez wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:36:11 -0500, Paul Fulghum <paulkf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>Even if a feature is not be enabled,
> >>backing out a patch can verify it does not
> >>touch code outside of the feature.
> >>

> > Indeed backing up selinux-revalidate-access-to-controlling-tty.patch
> > fixed "less" problem. But some other problems remain and the real
> > issue is /dev/tty is a directory now! :
> >

> > cartman@southpark:~$ ls -al /dev/tty
> > total 0
> > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2004-08-18 00:52 ./
> > drwxr-xr-x 15 root root 0 2004-08-17 21:53 ../
> > crw------- 1 root root 3, 10 2004-08-18 00:52 s
> > crw------- 1 root root 3, 0 2004-08-18 00:52 s0
> > crw------- 1 root root 3, 1 2004-08-18 00:52 s1
> > crw------- 1 root root 3, 2 2004-08-18 00:52 s2
> > crw------- 1 root root 3, 3 2004-08-18 00:52 s3
> > crw------- 1 root root 3, 4 2004-08-18 00:52 s4
> > crw------- 1 root root 3, 5 2004-08-18 00:52 s5
> > crw------- 1 root root 3, 6 2004-08-18 00:52 s6
> > crw------- 1 root root 3, 7 2004-08-18 00:52 s7
> > crw------- 1 root root 3, 8 2004-08-18 00:52 s8
> > crw------- 1 root root 3, 9 2004-08-18 00:52 s9
> >

> > And this breaks many applications. Any idea why /dev/tty is a directory now?
>
> Olaf, Greg:
>
> The addition of pty devices to sysfs in bk-driver-core.patch
> of 2.6.8.1-mm1 seems to be causing the problem described above.
> See the rest of this thread for more details.

He has the wrong permissions in
/etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions (or whatever), or no
entry for it, and his default_mode (in /etc/udev/udev.conf) is very
restrictive, or he does not use pam_console (or using it with a
display manager?), or add some other explanation. Personally I would
just say that he/his_distribution should fix the shipped
udev.permissions.

Apart from above, I cannot say anything is wrong with the addition of
tty's to sysfs, and if its the same in functionality as the old patch
from Greg, then I ran it for months no problem.

--
Martin Schlemmer