Re: TG3 doesn't work in kernel 2.4.27

From: Tetsuo Handa
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 07:32:32 EST

Hello, David.

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:38:24 -0700
"David S. Miller" wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:51:03 +0900
> Tetsuo Handa <a5497108@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > From 2.4.26 till 2.4.27-rc3 were all OK.
> > This trouble happens with 2.4.27-rc4 and later.
>
> It's Sun's buggy 5704 Fiber auto-negotiation changes.
>
> Here is a hacky possible fix, can you try it?
>
> ===== drivers/net/tg3.c 1.190 vs edited =====

I compiled as a UP kernel but it wasn't the cause.
Also, I patched the above fix on 2.4.27-rc4 and
compiled as a UP kernel, but didn't work.

Now I would like to mail to Marcelo Tosatti, too.

Current Status:
* The driver is tg3.o
* The problem began with 2.4.27-rc4.
* DHCP fails.
* Static IP assignment shows no error, but network is still unreachable.
('ifconfig' and 'route add default gw' by hand)
* DHCP packets are unreachable to DHCP server.
(I don't know which options are used for tcpdump.
I hear that 2.4.26 worked but 2.4.27 didn't. PXE's DHCP works. )
* 'arp' at DHCP server shows a line with <incomplete> status.
* Compiling as a UP kernel didn't solve the problem.
(The box is Xeon 3.2 GHz / 1 CPU with hyper-threading)
* Compiling as a UP kernel with the above fix didn't solve.
* The error message "HW autoneg failed" appears.
(But (I think) this message doesn't exist in tg3.c for 2.4.26,
so I don't know autoneg were successful or not in 2.4.26,
if helpful I will insert printk() and try.
The link ups (if 2.4.26) 1000Mbps full duplex, off for TX and off for RX.)

Regards...
---
Tetsuo Handa