Re: 2.6.8.1 Mis-detect CRDW as CDROM

From: Adam Jones
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 11:06:42 EST

In a futile gesture against entropy, Wolfgang Scheicher wrote:
> John Wendel wrote:
>
> > K3B detects my Lite-on LTR-52327S CDRW as a CDROM when run with 2.6.8.1.
> > Booting back into 2.6.7 corrects the problem.

> I have the same problem.
> I found out that cdrecord has a empty Line for the supported modes.
> ( not k3b fault )

For the record, this also seems to have affected growisofs. Running it
setuid root doesn't help, since it drops privileges before burning
(and thus I imagine it now ends up dropping too many privileges...).

Would the correct plan of attack here be to send fixes to the authors
of the various media-burning tools to make sure that they keep
CAP_SYS_RAWIO when dropping privileges? (Are any other capabilities
required?)
--
Adam Jones (adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
.oO("*ahem*" )