Re: your mail

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 06:10:07 EST

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 12:02:15PM +0100, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > You do stop fb from beeing loaded after drm
> > and thus break perfectly working setups during stable series. And you
>
> I doubt anyone has a system that does it and they should have a broken one
> if they do it.. drm has also said you should load fb before it.. and
> having both fb and drm loaded on the same hardware is a hack anyways..

So fix it properly instead of making it even more broken.

> Yes and that is the final goal but you are dodging the point we cannot
> jump to a fully finished state in one simple transition, it is great to
> hear "fbdrv/drm into a common driver" it's a simple sentence surely coding
> it must be simple, well its not and we are taking the route that should

It _is+ simple. Look at drivers/message/fusion/ for a driver doing multiple
protocol on a single pci_driver. I don't demand full-blown memory management
integration or anything pother fancy. Just get your crap sorted out.

ou could propably have done a prototype in the time you wasted arguing here.

> You seem to want us to go down the finished unmergeable mega-patch road
> to avoid breaking something that is broken and might work, the benefits
> don't outweight the costs.. so it makes no sense..

I want you a) to back out this particular broken change in your current
mega-patch. and b) submit small reviewable changes in the future, as every
other driver maintainer does.