Linux Kernel bug report (includes fix)

From: Joerg Schilling
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 07:53:58 EST

- Linux Kernel include files (starting with Linux-2.5) are buggy and
prevent compilation. Many files may be affected but let me name
the most important files for me:

- /usr/src/linux/include/scsi/scsi.h depends on a nonexistant
type "u8". The correct way to fix this would be to replace
any "u8" by "uint8_t". A quick and dirty fix is to call:

"change u8 __u8 /usr/src/linux/include/scsi/scsi.h"

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/change/

- /usr/src/linux/include/scsi/sg.h includes "extra text" "__user"
in some structure definitions. This may be fixed by adding
#include <linux/compiler.h> somewhere at the beginning of
/usr/src/linux/include/scsi/sg.h

This bug has been reported several times (starting with Linux-2.5).

Time to fix: 5 minutes.

I did spend far to much time with the discussion on LKML..... so I need a cue
whether it makes sense to continue this discussion.

You now again have the bug report _and_ the fix in a single short mail.

If the bug mentioned above is not fixed in Linux-2.6.8, I will asume that it
makes no sense to spend further time in discussions with LKML.

Best regards

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin