Re: Possible dcache BUG

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 07:40:06 EST

On Saturday 07 August 2004 02:20, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
>> I _was_ able to find the attached oops, but I don't think I have
>> the corresponding object files, so I hope the decoding it contains
>> is good enough.
>
>It's fine.
>
>It oopses on
>
> inode->i_sb->s_op
>
>where "i_sb" is bad and contains the pointer "0x0b7eebf8" which is
>definitely not a valid kernel pointer.
>
>There's a few other strange details in your oops report too. One
> being that the inode pointer (in %ebx, apparently) doesn't show on
> the stack where I'd expect it to show. Hmm. That might be just a
> different compiler issue, though.
>
>Anyway, this does look somewhat like the ones Gene is seeing. If I
> had to guess, I'd guess that either the inode pointer is bad, or
> it's just stale from an inode that has already been free'd. Most
> likely because of prune_dcache() having had a corrupt LRU list with
> a stale/corrupt entry.
>
>That would blow the prefetch theory out of the water.
>
> Linus

And I'm still up, no Oops yet.

08:34:07 up 1 day, 21:25, 4 users, load average: 1.10, 1.08, 1.03

I've also only done 3 seti units since yesterday morning, about 40% to
50% of my usual production even with the crashes. In other words,
system seems stable, but old dog slow too. & thats with top showing
seti getting 97-99% of the cpu. Ouch!

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)