Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Mark Lord
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 21:13:23 EST

The CAM interface (which is from the SCSI standards group)
usually is implemeted in a way that applications open /dev/cam and
later supply bus, target and lun in order to get connected
to any device on the system that talks SCSI.

This would be great!

I'm currently fussing about how my new RAID driver
(hardware assisted) can expose it's member drives
in such a way as for the userspace RAID management s/w
to be able to find them.

The driver only sees channel:device:lun, whereas in userspace
there's no tidy way to convert that to a major:minor pair.

I figure this cannot be the only situation where this is a problem.
We're hoping to resolve it all with the scsidev utility,
which is basically a kludge to work around a very inconventient
API from the kernel. Having a /dev/cam interface as described above
would certainly help here.

What other ways to do this should I be looking at?
(common to both 2.4.xx and 2.6.xx ??)
--
Mark Lord
(hdparm keeper & the original "Linux IDE Guy")