Re: Possible dcache BUG

From: Chris Shoemaker
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 21:20:59 EST

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 11:33:44AM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> You may use cpuburn to test RAM/CPU too.
>
> Although I have a memory which, when clocked a bit too high,
> pass both memtest86 and cpuburn for extended periods of time,
> yet large compile runs die with sig11 sometimes. Using a tiny
> bit less aggressive clocking helped. :)
> --
> vda

Oh yes, now I remember that it was you who recommened cpuburn to me back
in April/May or so. I also was suspicious that neither memtest86 nor
cpuburn were really stressful enough, but the large-compiles-in-a-loop
weren't any better for me. I would _love_ to just have some confident
test to say "yep, your hardware is bad, go buy a shiny new box" :)

I've seen memtest86 actually find bad RAM on a machine before, so I know
it works _sometimes_. Can anyone say the same for cpuburn? What does
a failure look like, and were there correlated symptoms like kernel oopses?

-chris