Re: Possible dcache BUG

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 21:17:02 EST

On Thursday 05 August 2004 12:26, Linus Torvalds wrote:
[...]
>Anyway, one other thing that makes me worry is the fact that Gene
>apparently has a K7. One of the things AMD has gotten wrong several
> times is prefetching, and it so happens that the dcache code is one
> of the users of the prefetch instruction. prude_dcache() in
> particular.
>
>So I'm also entertaining the notion that there's an actual prefetch
> data corruption, not just the known AMD bug with occasional
> spurious page faults. Who else has seen the problem? What CPU's are
> involved?
>
> Linus

If we run it down to that, can I bounce it back at AMD as defective?
Or can it be coded around? If its bugging my Athlon 2800XP, then I'd
have to assume (dmesg says its stepping 00 FWIW) that I'm far from
alone. AMD is peddling these just like Orville R. sells popcorn.
And, from previous experience with this particular vendor, if I give
convincing proof the chip really is from a defective run, I'd suspect
a replacement would be in a fedex bag & headed my way before the day
is out. But I'd need proof of the problem.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)