Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Kern Alexander
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 11:04:16 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 05 2004, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>
>>>From: Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx>
>>
>>>ATA method is misnamed, it's really SG_IO that is used. And you want to
>>>use that regardless of the device type, SCSI or ATAPI. There's no such
>>>thing as an ATA burner, and there's no need to differentiate between
>>>SCSI or ATAPI CD-ROM's when burning - SG_IO is the method to use. So
>>>forget browsing /proc/ide and other hacks.
>>
>>I am sorry but as Linux already has 6 different interfaces for sending
>>Generic SCSI commands and thus, we are running out of names.
>>
>>Let me give you an advise: consolidate Linux so that is does only need
>>/dev/sg and fix the bugs in ide-scsi instead of constantly inventing new
>>unneeded interfaces.
>

> That's been the general direction for quite some time, just that SG_IO
> is the preferred method since that works all around. You were the one
> that merged support for the CDROM_SEND_PACKET interface, which has
> _never_ been advertised as a way to burn CDs in Linux. I'd suggest you
> remove that.

Silly, as I suggested a patch to Joerg, it was the uniquely ability to burn
without
ide-scsi. And known you, it simply works, it let me to scan for burners(what
SG_IO cannot), it works
in 2.4.X and 2.6.X.

Make SG_IO better and CDROM_SEND_PACKET will die, without your suggestions.

Regards
Alex

P.S. I'm know that CDROM_SEND_PACKET has a overhead, by me it's 4%. I can
live with it.