Re: NFS-mounted, read-only /dev unusable in 2.6

From: L A Walsh
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 12:29:35 EST

Maybe I'm missing something, but in the 2.6 series, wasn't the ability
to mount subdirectories with different options, also, added? Would
it be possible to export and mount /dev with rw options to a specific
client?

Or, more radical, if the roots of the clients end up being mounted RW
eventually anyway, why not specify 'rw' in the lilo option? It's not
like it is a local filesystem that may be corrupt where one should
boot from it RO until it is checked...

But I've never tried either approach, so it's really only an idea/possibility.

Hope something works....the booting with a local initrd seems like it
would be a pain...

good luck,
Linda

Frank Steiner wrote:

Dick Streefland wrote:

Frank Steiner <fsteiner-mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Or is there any other way to get an initial console or
| output any messages from an init script if one boots via nfsroot
| and / (and thus, /dev) is only exported read-only from the
| server?

You can boot with a ramdisk as root, initialized with an initrd, and
then perform all NFS mounts manually in the init script. You can use
pivot_root to switch to an NFS root to get rid of the ramdisk.

I'm hoping for an easier solution, because it's a lot of work just
to get the console messages onto the screen. But maybe I have to go
through this :-)