Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.8-rc2-M5

From: Lee Revell
Date: Sun Aug 01 2004 - 19:51:21 EST

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 19:37, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 07:28, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > could you try to repeat the '50 usecs' test with -L2 [that was the one you
> > used?] to make sure it's repeatable?
>
> Results with L2, soundcard + RTC interrupts 'direct', N=1,000,000:
>
> Delay Count
> ----- -----
> 6 24330
> 7 429668
> 8 34474
> 9 26184
> 10 12210
> 11 9060
> 12 9104
> 13 8460
> 14 11011
> 15 13615
> 16 14584
> 17 13371
> 18 12169
> 19 10864
> 20 11936
> 21 7974
> 22 6256
> 23 4888
> 24 2385
> 25 640
> 26 164
> 27 113
> 28 86
> 29 105
> 30 90
> 31 86
> 32 103
> 33 140
> 34 149
> 35 183
> 36 160
> 37 141
> 38 147
> 39 146
> 40 172
> 41 140
> 42 131
> 43 89
> 44 54
> 45 10
> 46 3
> 47 2
> 49 3

The above histogram was generated with normal desktop activity going
on. Another run under the same conditions produced the same three
"humps". Here are the results with an idle system:

Delay Count
----- -----
6 8460
7 481093
8 66311
9 43167
10 23021
11 5536
12 3883
13 3370
14 3635
15 3923
16 3419
17 2892
18 2615
19 2659
20 5239
21 3607
22 1289
23 662
24 237
25 59
26 28
27 15
28 17
29 24
30 29
31 50
32 65
33 34
34 34
35 23
36 29
37 19
38 25
39 36
40 42
41 22
42 18
43 8
44 5

The second hump centered at 20-21 usecs is still present, but smaller.
The third hump centered at 31-32 is barely detectable, but present,
repeating the test showed the same thing.

So the first hump is the fast path, interrupt -> scheduler -> jackd with
the fewest possible context switches, and a hot or warm cache. The
third would have to be the worst case scenario (relatively speaking),
where we preempt another process in one of the longer common critical
sections.

The second hump seems like either the same situation as the fast path,
except with a cold cache, or where we have to preempt another process
that is not in a critical section at all, or a short one.

If we have any suspects for the code paths involved, couldn't this be
verified by adding a udelay(10) to the path, and verifying that the hump
moves by 10? This technique could also be used to distinguish different
code paths with similar execution times. It looks like they are finite
and few in number.

At this point there are no latency problems I can see, all that remains
is to understand the causes of the observed latencies. Then assuming
any "direct-irq" drivers and anything you run SCHED_FIFO is realtime
safe, what else remains to be done in order to make hard realtime
guarantees?

Lee

Lee