Re: gigabit trouble

From: Francois Romieu
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 16:47:28 EST

Bart Alewijnse <scarfboy@xxxxxxxxx> :
> You are aware that this is a celeron at 400 mhz, and not whatever 400
> is or possibly isn't in that annoying new naming scheme? (Just
> checking...)

Yes. It is good enough to handle some network traffic.

[...]
> Anyhow, on transmit from the celeron box, under extreme benchy
> circumstrances, I've seen it around 16Kints/s on transmit and 13k on
> receive. But under everyday nfs/samba, 6400 is about the best it does
> either way.

The figures does not seem bad.

I am curious: which chipset does the motherboard include ?
An 'lspci -vx' sums it quite well.

[...]
> This may be due to fiddling with said wmem, etc values, I set some of them

It should not.

> considerably larger. I did get a few percent apparent speed increase,
> incidentally, though that may have been wishful thinking.
>
> I guess I should try >= 2.6.8-rc2-mm1 next?

Please. Do not compile in preempt/ipv6/smp. SMP is supposed to be safe
but you do not need it and it will not make your r8169 faster if you have
only one CPU. I'd welcome a 'vmstat 1' output as it gives the bi/bo.

--
Ueimor