Re: gigabit trouble

From: Francois Romieu
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 14:17:52 EST

Bart Alewijnse <scarfboy@xxxxxxxxx> :
[...]
> I run gentoo on both, which until yesterday was 2.6.7-ck5 (on both),
> and currently run 2.6.7-mm6 (again, both), as I saw the suggestion
> somewhere it had better support for the card - something about a new
> net card inferface that's nicer to interrupts.

NAPI support for r8169 is available in recent -mm kernel and there is
a small (though noticeable) optimization wrt to interrupt disabling.

[...]
> So, question one - how do I see the link speed under linux, and how,
> if at all, do I control it?

ethtool

[...]
> Disturbingly, in such a linux-to-linux speed test, my new computer
> froze.As in, in text mode, have the screen freeze and apparently be
> half written full of nonsense.

These messages would be welcome (pen/paper/serial line/image/log file
or whatever).

[...]
> So, question two - what possibly happened there? Is this a
> driver/motherboard coincidence and therefore quite doomed?
>
> Quite frankly, I'm stumped. Any suggestions are welcome.

Please provide:
- complete dmesg log from boot up to the point where the card can
trnasmit and receive (please check in your log file if the output of
'dmesg' is truncated)
- cat /proc/interrupts once the card is up
- /sbin/lspci -vx
- /sbin/lsmod

If you have any binary module loaded, please reproduce the issue with
a kernel wherein they have not been loaded.

If you believe that it could be related to hardware, you may want to
run a complete memtest to rule out memory issues.

--
Ueimor