Re: Backlight and LCD module patches [2]

From: Andrew Zabolotny
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 13:14:17 EST

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:59:17 -0500
John Lenz <jelenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The problem I see is that we would like something like a bus to match
> together class devices. What would be really nice is something like
> this.
This is impossible to do in a device-independent way. Only the drivers know
how they can recognize each other. And if you're meaning the b/l driver will
register the match function with the core, that's very similar to the solution
I've described in my earlier messages.

> Lastly, wouldn't it be better to create a drivers/video/lcd directory
> so that all the lcd drivers can go in there and not clutter up the main
> drivers/video directory?
I agree but my word means nothing.

Speaking of your patch, I don't like the lcd_power_names array. The reason for
the 0-4 power status was to match that of VESA power states (0..4,
intermediate values mean intermediate power states, whatever they mean for
concrete devices). Besides, it makes end-user usage more complex (instead of
just specifying a number in the 0-4 range you now have to *know* you have to
specify "full off" and alike). Also it doesn't handle backlight, only LCD.

--
Greetings,
Andrew