Re: stat very inefficient

From: David S. Miller
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 10:44:41 EST

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:16:40 +0200
Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Most architectures can use a generic wrapper for that, together
> with a standard macro that clears all the padding in user space.

They can't be seperate though, I don't want:

fill_in_stat_bits();
zero_out_padding_parts();

because that disturbs the ascending store stream which
I'm trying to retain.

What I really want to do on Sparc64 is a special inline
assembly that looks a lot like put_user() but uses one
exception table entry for all the stores into the stat{,64}
structure in userspace.

How would you wrapper look? Perhaps I'm confused and it
allows what I want to do.