Re: A users thoughts on the new dev. model

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 15:08:16 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 01:58:27PM +0000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

Followup to: <cdpee5$otu$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
By author: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

I confess I feel that this new model is a return to the bad old days when the stable tree wasn't. Sounds as if Andrew is bored with the idea of letting 2.7 be the development tree and just being the gatekeeper of STABLE new features for 2.6. Perhaps 2.7 should be opened and Andrew will have a place to play, and features can drift to 2.6 more slowly.

I think the discussion we had at the kernel summit has been somewhat
misrepresented by LWN et al. What we discussed was really more of a
"soft fork", with the -mm tree serving the purpose of 2.7, rather than
a hard fork with a separate maintainer and putting ourselves in
back/forward-porting hell all over again.

Note that Andrew's -mm tree *specificially* has infrastructure to keep
changes apart and thus backporting to 2.6 mainstream of patches which
have proven themselves becomes trivial.

One problem from a user's point of view is that removal of obsolete code that works sufficiently for some users.

Andrew said explicitely in a mail to linux-kernel that he'd consider removing devfs "mid-2005" - and it didn't sound as if this would only be a -mm "feature".

Even if 2.7 is started this doesn't has to imply that it has to be flooded with big changes - a short 2.7 with relativley few invasive changes might also be an option.

I would consider removing devfs or cryptoloop invasive, since they would mean some people just flat-out couldn't use the kernel with their existing system.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)