Re: 2.6.8-rc2 4K stack overflow

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 10:58:25 EST

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 07:48:13AM -0000, linux@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Just a crash report. Machine locked hard - no caps lock, no ping.
> Machine mostly idle. Amanda network backup was running, but not daily cron.
> Backtrace copied by hand. (I didn't copy the leading addresses.)
> FWIW, only one partition (a RAID-0 non-critical data partition) is
> mounted with ext2.
> .config follows. Compiler is GCC 3.3.4 (Debian 3.3.4-3) Hardware is
> Intel Celeron, 440BX motherboard.
> Hopefully it helps someone. I don't have frame pointers enabled, so I
> assume the confusing bits of the backtrace are clutter misidentified as
> a return address.

It looks like you took invalid opcode exceptions in addition to some
rather suspicious oopsen in/around buffered_rmqueue(). The latter are
likely stack gunk, the former OTOH I suspect may be real.

Could you try to reproduce without CONFIG_REGPARM and turn on frame
pointers? Might help a bit to cut down on ways backtraces might get
misinterpreted.

-- wli