Re: Autotune swappiness01

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 21:47:24 EST

Tim Connors writes:

Clemens Schwaighofer <cs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said on Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:17:16 +0900:

Andrew Morton wrote:
| Clemens Schwaighofer <cs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

|>I changed that to 20 now, but I don't know if this will make things
|>worse or better.
|
| It may appear to be better, but you now have 100, maybe 200 megabytes less
| pagecache available across the entire working day.

which might slow down overall working speed? or responsness of programs?

Depends on what you do. Do you compile kernels regularly? In
particular, do you have to wait for them, or do you just let them sit
in the background, and come back to them when you rememeber, since
you've been busy doing real work for the past 5 hours? If you wait,
then I guess you want high swapiness.

Well I'm tired of this discussion which comes up every month or so and I brought it up! Clearly my patch is not considered adequate so I promise never to bring it up again.

Cheers,
Con