whining noise - possible bug in nForce2 support?

From: Dexter Filmore
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 16:39:43 EST

Don't know who else to ask about this:

Just upgraded my mobo to a ECS N2U400-A nForce2 board, standard MCP
southbridge, latest BIOS.
CPU is AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 2x256MB PC266 RAM.
Kernel version is 2.6.7, tested distros are Slackware 10 and Knoppix 3.4.

Board work alright so far, but as soon as I start a 2.6 kernel, the board will
produce a high pitched whining sound.
This doesn't happen with 2.4 or a wide spread OS from Redmond, only with 2.6.
I tried test kernels without ACPI, APM and such, no success.

Interesting thing: as long as the hard disk has something to do, the noise
vanishes but returns as soon as the disk idles again.

This is way beyond me. Anybody got an idea?

Dex

--

http://www.againsttcpa.com - nothing fights like the opposition