Re: umount() and NFS races in 2.4.26

From: Thomas Moestl
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 14:51:24 EST

On Sun, 2004/07/11 at 03:25:34 +0800, raven@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Thomas Moestl wrote:
> > The system in question still uses autofs3. While I believe that the
> > waitq race is also present there (it could probably cause directory
> > lookups to hang, if I understand it correctly), I do not think that
> > any autofs3 code could cause exactly those symptoms that I have
> > observed. For that, it would have to obtain dentries of the file
> > systems that it has mounted, but the old code never does that.
>
> All autofs has to do is not delete a directory before exiting for this
> error to occur.

But in that case, the left-over dentry would be an autofs one, would
it not? In our case, the dentries were verified to belong to a NFS
mount that was unmounted by the automounter (that was one of the
symptoms I was referring to). The automounter itself was still
running, and the autofs still mounted.

- Thomas