TCP BIC problems - make it off by default ?

From: Maciej Soltysiak
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 12:07:15 EST

Hi,

Since 2.6.7 I have had problems with my server downloading and people
uploading to the server. The throughput was never higher than 4kB/s

I have found that when /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_bic is 1 (which is the
default) I am experiencing this behaviour. When I switch it off.
It's back to normal again.

I have read that BIC is for super high speed, long distance links,
which are not the most common links in the wild, so maybe it would
be better to turn tcp_bic to 0 by default so as not to ruin the links
of innocent upgraders.

I am no guru, but BIC maybe failing at my end because, my LAN is 100Mb
ethernet, the Internet link is an old 10Mb fddi half duplex, and the
links on the MAN ring are (i think) 155Mb ATM links.

Maybe that's a very bad combination, or some devices on my network,
especially the firewall (checkpoint) may react weird.

Anyway, because of that tcp_bic may cause problems and because it is
use will not be common anyway, maybe it would be better to mark it off
by default.

Regards,
Maciej